An Exceptional Experience in Memory Care
Memory Care is not new to Royal Oaks. Since 1984 we have cared for and supported residents and their families who have memory loss. We have expanded those memory care services, starting with a building, Friendship House, dedicated to providing a familiar, home-like setting, and specially trained staff committed to giving Alzheimer's and dementia care that is innovative and structured. In 2016, Friendship House won the Leading Age/Arizona award for Innovation in Environmental Design. You can view the 2-minute video that explains why. You may want to read this brief educational report that helps you recognize the 10 signs of dementia or Alzheimer's.
Every element of our memory care community has been carefully designed to meet the unique needs of people with memory loss and their families. Friendship House is included in the Lifecare contract for Royal Oaks residents and memory care residency is also available on a monthly fee basis for non-residents. This checklist may be useful as you explore options for your loved one.
Our Alzheimer's and dementia care experience has shown us that those with memory loss thrive when a number of key factors are present.
- Certified and experienced staff are committed to making Friendship House a home for our residents in need of memory support. To maintain a non-clinical atmosphere, the caregivers are called Companions. Companions provide friendship and support for our memory care residents and their families. Mutual admiration, respect, and fun are the hallmarks of Companion-Resident relationships. Each Companion is a Certified Caregiver. Our campus' on-site Director of Health Services is an RN with a Bachelor and Master's degrees in Nursing. We advocate the Virtual Dementia Tour, a special course provided to staff, residents, family, and friends to experience what a resident with dementia may experience. This provides our nurses and companions with a more complete understanding of the challenges our memory care residents may face.
- The residential setting in our memory care community is conducive to exploration both indoors and outdoors. Abundant therapy gardens and secure backyard within the Friendship House grounds are available where residents can freely and safely explore the outdoors.
- Memory Care residents have access to community-wide activities and programs. This fosters relationships with staff as well as Independent Living residents - many of whom volunteer at Friendship House.
- We are intentional about including family members to aid in individualized, resident-centered dementia care. We also encourage inclusion of families in activities and meals.
- Communication is one of our strengths campus-wide. In the Illingworth Center, the Friendship House, and the Care Center, Caremerge is used widely to increase family engagement. Find out more about Caremerge and how it benefits residents and their loved ones by viewing this short video.
There is much more to tell about Friendship House, our innovative memory care community near Phoenix in Sun City. Call 623-815-4132 for more information or